Finished Caddy

Finished Caddy

This was a challenge to alter a tin to make something to hold pencils. Well, I can’t resist a bit of competition so I thought I’d better have a go. Visit http://oorchallengeblog.blogspot.com/ to see other entries. I took photos of all the steps (well, most of them) so you can follow what I did if you’d like to.

Basic Tin

You can see what the tin looked like here, my sister saves all sorts of things for me thinking I could use them, and she’s so right! I dropped puddles of alcohol inks onto my craft mat and mixed them with the blending solution – I only used brown tones and some gold – and dappled them all over the tin with the applicator tool. I actually love the way it looked right now and perhaps should have left it just like this but I felt I had to do something more πŸ™‚

Twinnings Tin

Twinnings Tin

Gold inside

Gold inside

Alcohol Inks

Alcohol Inks

Back View

Back View

Showing Lid

Showing Lid

Adding Designs

I stamped some egyptian images (a Non Sequitur set) onto white tissue paper, the first two inks just bled into the paper and looked awful so I tried again with Versafine and got nice, crisp images. I cut them up and applied a couple onto the tin using watered-down PVA glue – they immediately got lost! Didn’t like that at all so I removed them with water and had a re-think.

Smudged

Smudged

Crisp

Crisp

Ready to glue

Ready to glue

Two applied

Two applied

Invisible!

Invisible!

Scarab Beetle

I stamped this image onto a circle of heavy card and then heat-set it to dry (I’m very impatient!). Gold Leaf pen around the edge for a bit of shine and then I triple embossed it with clear UTEE and added a sprinkle of Kaleidescope powder for interest. It curled slightly with the heat so when I pressed it flat I got the cracked glass look – I meant to do that, really! – so rubbed over the cracks with a little gold ink to make them show more.

I then tried stamping onto the tin – not the easiest thing to do as there’s no pressure behind it to enable a good impression. I then decided that rather than use the acrylic blocks, it would be easier to ink-up the rubber and just press it onto the tin and around the curves. The ink didn’t seem to want to dry so I embossed the images, some with gold, others with Kaleidescope.

Beetle on card

Beetle on card

Embossing

Embossing

Before it curled

Before it curled

Stamping

Stamping

Before embossing

Before embossing

Shrink Plastic

I stamped some shrink plastic with green Versafine ink and then punched circles using Fiskars Squeeze punches, punched a hole to hang these with using my Crop-O-Dile and then proceeded to heat them. After they’d shrunk I flattened them with an acrylic block but, as you can see, the ink didn’t dry. So, UTEE to the rescue.

Shrink plastic

Shrink plastic

Shrinking

Shrinking

Flattening

Flattening

Smudging!

Smudging!

UTEE'ing!

UTEE'ing!

Stampbord

I coloured an oval piece of Stampbord with several shades of brown and then stamped with Staz-On – I purposely left the middle of the piece lighter (truthfully, this time :)) as I was aiming for an ‘aged’ look. I scratched away just a littleΒ  here and there but there didn’t actually seem to anything obvious to highlight. I used the gold leafing pen around the edges and then tripple embossed it, mainly to stop it getting marked during use.

I had intended to put the scarab beetle on the top of the tin with the shrink plastic charms hanging off it – hence the holes. I curled some heavy wire and tried hanging the ‘charms’ and didn’t like that so took them off again. I used the wire at the end.

Stampbord

Stampbord

Krylon

Krylon

Decision time

Decision time

Finished

The wire that I didn’t use earlier is now hung on the lid (punched and set an eyelet in there) with a couple of beads on the end. It’s hard to get decent photos I’m afraid because of the glare but you can see the basic idea. I stamped on the inside of the lid with a Lotus design and black Staz-On before sticking on the scarab beetle with a hot-glue gun. The Stampbord piece and the ‘charms’ are glued onto the lid using hot-glue too.

My husband says it looks like I’ve just dug it up out of the garden!

Front and Top

Front and Top

Side view

Side view

Inside

Inside

Another Version

I had decorated this tin a few weeks ago – no details really as I didn’t have a blog then and didn’t think about it! It’s another Twinning Tea Caddy which I covered with white gesso at first and then added some acrylic paints, The red was a bit ‘loud’ so I added some green to tone it down a little and then I cut and punched various shapes out of some co-ordinating papers and glued them on. I went over the top of the whole thing with watered PVA and then again with some sparkle paint. I punched a few holes with my Crop-O-Dile and dotted some brads around.

This tin is the perfect size for my Rubber Stamp Tapestry Peg Stamp sets – for some strange reason I used to keep them all in their original packaging and yet happily mixed the sets up to use them! Finally decided that there was no point in keeping them sorted like that so they’re now in this tin and much handier.

View 1

View 1

View 2

View 2

Top

Top

Tags: , , , ,