We have quite a few parties and unofficial meetings at our house and some visitors like to drink wine! Not me, of course, anyone who knows me will confirm that I never touch a drop!!! 😉
One of the problems I find is that people tend to put a glass down somewhere and then can’t remember which one is theirs. So, I made a bunch of coasters which slip onto the bottom of each glass and every one is slightly different – if only people could remember which colour/gem they are it would be a great idea!
Now I take no credit for coming up with this idea, there are many of them available around the world – but I did design these myself to be stitched completely in the embroidery hoop with no extra sewing steps needed.
I used some black fleece fabric and the edging is all done with a variegated pink thread. The flower design is a different colour on each coaster and – when I ran out of obviously differing colours – I added some large stick-on gems.
The coasters also serve as…well, coasters! Guests can put a glass down on any surface without worrying about leaving rings etc.. very useful really even if they still don’t remember which is their drink.
How to store them
This was the next issue, how do I keep them in the glasses cupboard neatly? Have you seen those dispensers they have for cups in cafeterias? That’s the sort of thing I wanted but on a much smaller scale, of course.
I wandered round the workshop looking for inspiration and found it in the guise of left-over drainpipe from the plumbing work we’ve just had done. There were a few pieces about 9″ long and a perfect diameter for the coasters so I grabbed one, got out my hot knife and cut a wide slit down the length of the pipe. It wasn’t easy and it’s not as neat as I would like but, as it’s hand-crafted, I decided it would be OK.
I also found a sweetie tin (travel sweets) which was a good size for the pipe to fit around and then dug out some braid, my alcohol inks and good-old crop-o-dile.
I didn’t take any photos during the making of this but if you’ve used alcohol inks at all you’ll know to put them on the applicator with some blending solution and just dabble all over the item in question. That’s what I did, both inside and out and also on the braid to take away the contrast and on the brass paper fasteners (brads). I punched holes around the top of the tin, marked where the pipe sat on top of that and punched the holes to correspond and used the brads to hold it all together. The braid is just stuck on to hide the rough edges along the front and inside to hide the brads.
I know that the top of the pipe seems to fold in on itself, I guess that’s because the tin is just slightly too big and is stretching the bottom outwards. Never mind, it works and it looks quite nice sitting in my cupboard amongst the wine glasses…..which I never use myself, honest!