My lovely next-door neighbour, Harry, recently celebrated his 80th birthday so I made him a special card. He really does deserve something a bit special – he is the oldest paper-boy in the district :). He always gets our weekend papers for us and we do appreciate that.
I’ve made several variations of star cards/books but this was quite the easiest so far. I am very happy with the end result but I think, if I do another, I’ll make the pieces a little smaller – the images seen through the openings are a bit too far away to be viewed easily.
I have a lot of trouble with ‘manly’ cards but enjoyed the challenge of making 8 different ones here!
I chose a lovely deep burgundy red for the inner part, soft grey for the middle and white for the 3rd layer and made openings in three of the white & grey units to peer through to the middle. I used my Spellbinder Nestabilities in the Wizard to make the decorative openings in the white card and just cut a rectangle in the grey ones with a craft knife.
You can see here the large scalloped oval I cut out of the white card and the rectangle cut from the grey. I used a ‘wordy’ stamp on a panel I’d cut out for one of the other pages and smudged some purple ink around it for interest (I used the same ink throughout to continue the look). The grey panel had a large music border stamped on it – a nod to Harry’s charming wife, Joan, who is very musical – and some more nautical-looking images on the white piece. I edged the white and grey card with the purple ink and the burgundy card with silver, all through the whole book.
I kept this really quite simple, the poppy stamp is one large square stamped image which I cut into the two panels. I coloured them with pens and a water brush and then mounted them on a layer of mulberry paper.
Dragonflies! What a lovely insect they are to stamp :). To make sure that the inner image would be in the right place, I layered the grey on top of the burgundy and paper-clipped a scrap length of card to show where the top of the rectangular opening was. I then moved the grey out of the way, inked-up the large stamp and lined it up with the top of that piece of scrap. Hindsight – next time, I’ll stamp before folding!
This one wasn’t supposed to have a cut-out but I thought I’d try something. I used one of the Spellbinders pendants to cut an opening in the white panel and then just embossed the same design on the grey. Whilst it was still in the die, I coloured it with the purple ink and then covered it with the piece I’d cut out and air-brushed some colour round it with my Promarker Letrajet. I used a lovely decorative stamp from Joanna Sheen for the white page – trying to remember it was for a man!
Pretty self-explanatory, I think :). The main image was stamped and then dusted with mica powders – it’ll get no handling in the centre where it is so there was no need to seal it.
I added a different colour to this page for a change. Didn’t really like it whilst in progress but, after I added the ribbon to the left side (it’s a lovely blue/purple iridescent) and the starfish bubbles, I liked it better. The ship is cut out and raised on 3D foam pads. My neighbours love to go abroad so this is the travel page.
Whew! Nearly finished. Just in case Harry forgot how old he was I made sure to remind him ;). What a pity my handwriting is so scruffy – hard to believe I won calligraphy competitions. I think that the advent of computers has just made me lazy – I almost never hand-write letters now and it shows that I’m getting out of practise.
I covered two pieces of heavy card, a little larger than the inside pages, with a dull gold paper and adhered some ribbon between to tie it closed (and open). The image was stamped onto glossy card which I coloured using alcohol inks and I layered that, and the sentiment, onto some of the same burgundy card I used inside. If you look closely you may spot a little paper piercing. The three square brads were added …….just because I’ve got stuff and I really should use it ;).