The completed card

Cut-out butterflies

While I was filing away my birthday cards from January of this year I studied one of the shop-bought ones and decided to try to replicate it. You can see the finished card here on the right, I’ll add details to the other photos – click the thumbnails to read further.

I used a large Spellbinder butterfly from Wings of Hope for the main design but can’t remember the name of the other, smaller ones (though I think they’re discontinued). I haven’t added a sentiment yet, thought I’d wait until I see what occasion I use it for.

On the photo labelled Sketch Challenge you can see an idea I was toying with for Stamp Club – I didn’t use this panel though in the end, I have already blogged about the one I did use here.

I cut out the two butterflies from a pre-folded recycled card base and coloured them while they were still in the dies.

First step

You can see the colours of ink I used here. The green panel at the top left is an experiment of wax-paper resist with an embossing folder.

Distressing

The left part shows how I used another piece of wax-paper resist work and at the bottom right  you can see the card I took the butterfly inspiration from.

Three cards

A slightly better view of the details, I chose some cute designer paper for the inside to peep through the cut-outs.

More detail

I had thought to use the panel on the left for the sketch challenge as you can see above it....I changed my mind though!

Sketch Challenge

You can see the dp peeping through the cut-outs and the curled-wire antennae of the butterflies.

Peeping through

On the inside you can see the two dp's I used and that I glued the larger cut-out butterfly directly behind the aperture so it shows when closed also.

Inside

Tags: , , , ,