25th Anniversary Card

25th Anniversary Card

I haven’t blogged for ages – I do apologise. I had hand-surgery in June of this year and my crafting and my typing both suffered as a result. I am now almost back to normal, just need to keep exercising to increase the strength and mobility and it’ll be as good as new. I did get some cards made before I went into hospital but didn’t get around to blogging them. Here’s one I made earlier 🙂

In May of this year my eldest sister and her husband celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary so it was the perfect opportunity to go a little over the top with a card. They are very fond of cats, always have a couple, sometimes four, and they’re nearly always ginger!

I haven’t done a lot of embroidery lately so I wound up the machine and dug out this cute image of two cats – changed the colours of the original so that they reflected their penchant for ginger cats and stitched it on a neutral colour of felt. Although felt is very stable I used a couple of layers of stabiliser as well just to make sure it didn’t distort. I love the way their tails make a heart 🙂

Basic embroidered design

Basic embroidered design

Trimming to size

My machine will stitch a long basting stitch around the design area before stitching which helps keep it stable and also shows you where the design will be sewn (should you be putting it on a garment). I used these stitches as a guide for cutting, measuring equally all round and then cutting out with a craft knife. I love the Fiskars Fingertip Knife – find it very easy to use and control.

Measuring

Measuring

Trimming

Trimming

Neat and ready to go

Neat and ready to go

Shaping the card

I uncovered this lovely silver cardstock in my stash so folded it into a tall gate-fold card base. Using my Fiskars Shape Cutter I cut out the heart shape on the front, half on each ‘gate’ and again on the slightly smaller piece of card I’d chosen for the liner.

Shape Cutter

Shape Cutter

It almost matches!

It almost matches!

Faffing

I wanted to mount the embroidery onto some patterned paper and flowers seemed a good choice (they are avid gardeners) but the pretty paper I found was a bit garish so I toned it down by layering some pale-blue vellum over the top. I adhered the felt onto this and then anchored it down with a ribbon border and some brads, and them some hearts into which I glued a couple of gems.

Papers

Papers

Embroidery attached

Embroidery attached

Lots of hearts

Lots of hearts

Front of Card

Oooh, time to play! Eyelets inserted using my trusty crop-o-dile; lilac ribbon to lace the front together over a piece of acetate which was cut slightly larger than the size of the card so that it would ‘bow’; peel-offs all round just to add a bit of colour; a cupid topper from my stash and then a few elements cut from a metallic tray using Spellbinders Dies.

I had to make a box to post it of course. I used some darkish card and sprayed with gold Glimmer Mist over a mask and then added a couple of flowers I made. I never really trust glue on corners so, being a ‘belt & braces’ type of girl, I used some silver studs on all sides.

Faffing!

Faffing!

Tag on the back for greeting

Tag on the back for greeting

It needed a box

It needed a box

Flower

Flower

Tags: , , , , , , , ,