Many years ago I purchased a clock kit, basically a square of heavy card and ‘workings‘ – I had all sorts of wonderful ideas for it so I put it in a drawer and forgot about for a looooooong time. Now that Millie is learning to tell the time I thought I’d use it for her but I couldn’t manage to fit numbers big enough to read on the square so I put it back in the drawer.
After wallpapering the lounge I had some pieces of paper left over so I resolved to make a clock to go on the plain-papered wall in there. I started by painting the base with gesso and then adding various red inks on top of that. I adhered the cut-out flower (from the wallpaper) in the centre, some flourishes on the points and then sealed the whole lot with a wash of diluted PVA glue.
The numbers (oh how I wish I’d taken more photos) were from a box of yellow/orange/green striped ones which I inked and then triple-embossed. I cut out some tiny metallic cogs from a die set and punched holes at the appropriate spots using my trusty Crop-o-dile and fixed them with heart-shaped brads.
I was so thrilled, so pleased with myself. 😆 I propped it on the fireplace while I was thinking about where to hang it in there only to find it had been evicted by my son who found it too noisy!
So, it’s now in the kitchen where it looks totally ….. wrong! The large clock we had with proper numbers on was similarly evicted from Millie’s bedroom for the same tick-tocky reason so we can’t tell her to stay in bed until 9 o’clock now!!! 😐