At our Rubber Stamping Club last year we had a round-robin book exchange. Those taking part were split into groups of 5 or 6 people and we each chose a theme for our own particular book.
We made or bought a book and decorated the covers and the first couple of pages to complement our design – mine was Oriental and I made the cover with some heavy card, ribbon, strips of hand-made paper, leather and bamboo skewers.
It was finished with fibres and hand-made beads, some from shrink plastic (the black ones) and others from duct tape and wire (and UTEE). I didn’t see the book until it came back to me at the end of the project – I am absolutely delighted with the way it turned out and fascinated with the different interpretations of the same theme.
Inside the front cover I used some images which I printed onto glossy photo paper and the inside of the back has more of the same and also the front of a birthday card made for me by my friend, Janet.
This shows the first two pages of my book – the pages were all made from a heavy watercolour paper and I stamped lightly over the plain cream with a green chalk ink in a bamboo design.
The black shrink plastic strips distorted whilst shrinking but I think it gives quite a pleasing effect – nothing ‘hand-made’ should be perfect!
I used my favourite grid technique on the left side with several oriental images (just realised…they’re almost all Non Sequitur – again!) and a shrink plastic embellishment in the middle. The ‘crane’ stamp there was just stamped with black ink. A few coins and a bit of ribbon on the right-hand page along with the same ‘crane’ stamp but this time I tired the ‘kissing’ technique with a decorative background stamp and some gold embossing powder and then again with clear powder over the green/black version.