For the month of December the lovely Michael challenged us to use the template he provided. It is basically a box, there’s a tab to close it so if you wanted to put a small gift in there it could be very useful (thinking
chocolates jewellery…..). I’m afraid mine is anything but useful 😉 – there’s so much decoration on it that it can’t easily be opened any more – I did intend it to be purely ornamental.
I started with some heavy-weight scrapbook paper in a lovely mossy green colour and drew out the shape on the back. I enlarged the original design by making a basic equilateral triangle out of some cardboard and then drew around that as the layout showed. It folded nicely as it was a good quality paper and then I started playing! I die-cut Spellbinders Layered Poinsettia several times out of the remains of the 12×12 paper and then stamped them with the Cloisonné Circle in a dark green Versafine ink before layering them up and securing with a black brad. I lightly ran over the ‘spines’ of the poinsettias with adhesive and sprinkled with fine gold glitter and put them aside to dry. They were then glued onto the three upright edges. I die-cut Ironworks Motif from both more of the green paper and also shiny gold card and glued them together and stuck the whole thing onto the bottom of the box. I also stitched through the centre and took the loop of cord up and out of the top of the box for a hanger.
The Cloisonné Circle was stamped on gold card and embossed with gold powder and then I took the bauble top from Chocolate Baroque’s Mackintosh Baubles and stamped that 3 times before embossing with silver powder, cut them out and glued them behind the circular shape. I punched 3 holes toward the top of the triangle points and strung the baubles through them – they are free to swing about.
I found this gorgeous ornament on Becca Feeken’s blog – Amazing Paper Grace – and wanted to try it but I could not find thin, double-sided paper anywhere! I thought I’d got the right thing with some light-weight gold paper but, after cutting out 18 shapes, embossing them through a couple of embossing folders and then sticking them together I found that….well, it just didn’t work! I don’t know where Becca got the lovely paper she’s using but it’s something I’m going to keep my eyes open for. I haven’t bothered showing that ornament as it just is not worth it 🙁
So, I tried it with an old book instead – this is a soft-back novel which is broken down the spine and falling apart anyway so I’m not destroying anything valuable (honest, Gloria 🙂 )
Becca insists that you use strong glue dots but I couldn’t find those either! I wanted tiny ones, obviously, and the ones I had were huge so….I made my own! On the web you’ll find instructions for making them using Aleens Tack it Over and Over which, once more, I didn’t have but I did have some Stampendous tacky glue which I use for sticking my unmounted stamps to acrylic blocks. I laid tiny dots of this on some release tape from shop-bought glue dots and left them to dry. Although they were fiddly to work with they did do the job beautifully and are holding the paper together very nicely.
I used some plain twine for the hanger which I threaded through a couple of large, rather ugly beads before rolling them in copper glitter glue. I also rubbed the edges of the ornament with the same glue using my finger to add just a light dusting.
I’d like to make more of these, I think perhaps I’d over-stamp the papers with something decorative or maybe I could use a thin paper and stamp a design on both sides…….watch this space :D.